Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

08 January, 2012

Am I A Quilter Yet?

I started this quilt about six months ago, but alas I got bored with it in the first week. I think it was because I purchased a pattern for beginners and was frustrated that the pattern had no basic instructions just a few diagrams.  I was totally reliant on the picture on the cover of the pattern to work out the design. Thank goodness the cover was in colour.

The pattern wasn't cheap. The lady in the quilting shop recommended this pattern for beginners and naturally I put my faith in her recommendation.  I was disappointed in the instructions, but maybe I just have high expectations and being too critical.

I've been sick, I needed a distraction and I hate unfinished projects. So out came my earlier attempt which was the centre piece "Confused Butterflies" because that's what they look like to me, they have no idea where they're going.

Eventually I made sense of the quilting concept and even enjoyed the process.  It's not perfect but I don't think the photo reflects my mistakes.

Confused Butterflies

It's hanging on a wall in the least used part of the house for the time being.  I'm all fired up to do another one designed by me.  But first, I'm off to the local library to see what they can offer to a newbie quilter like me in the way of information about the fundamentals of quilting.  I'm sure there will be hundreds of books for the picking.

Wish me luck, because I need it.

16 comments:

  1. I think it's charming! This does not look like a beginner's quilt to me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't look like a beginner's quilt at all to me. You did a great job!

    It is a happy little quilt. I can't wait until you design one yourself. I am sure it will be wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep an eye out for Kaffe Fassett as he absolutely is so inspiring. ( to me anyway)
    You did better than I could do! Good onya,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck,i think you are great for having a go and your quilt looks good to me.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Good Luck! That's a pretty little quilt.
    Your Whoopsie in the other post did make me laugh. I was picturing that show, One Foot in the Grave, when the grumpy guy was in the waiting room of the surgery, fell asleep, and then gave his info to the maintenance cleaner- a comedy of errors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Job! Well Done!! Yes you are a quilter now and I can't wait to see what you come up with next :) Regards, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the job you did on this Chris... If this is your first, then I could only imagine what you are capable of... The sky's the limit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors, and yes it doesn't look like a beginner pattern at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Chris! Thanks for visiting my blog last week at mamas*little*treasures . . . . your quilt is beautiful ;o)

    As a long-time quilter, I learned to quilt by making sure every seam was "perfect," every corner was perfectly lined up, and every applique stitch was perfectly tiny ;o) As time has gone by, however, I have found so much more joy in creating with a bit of abandon and allowing for creative flexibility. W

    ould love to talk with you more about learning easy quilting techniques that might be more encouraging to you - let me know if you want to talk!

    Also, if you need a clickable button for your blog (and to share with other bloggers, like me!) I would be happy to create one for you and even teach you how to create your own if you want. Looking forward to connecting with you again soon, Nina @ mamas*little*treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos for learning a new artform. I think you did fabulously. :)

    Thanks so much for the follow and I'm now following you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is terrific you are trying something NEW! My mom is a quilter and I just do NOT have the patience (OR the eyesight) for it. Bah humbug! Sure wish I did, it is a beautiful art form! Thanks for your comment on my blog, and I am following you back :)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way is this a beginners quilt! In my opinion a beginners guilt would be all squares! So many patterns available for purchase seem to assume the quilter has basic knowledge of a great many things.

    If it is available to you, get your hands on "Quilting for Beginners" by Lynn G. Kough. The author explains every step in the process of building a quilt in excellent clarity and detail. (It is available on Amazon if you can't find it locally.

    I was very fortunate when learning to quilt to have a friend literally teach me every singe thing i needed to know - step by step - block by block - and gave me the run of her rather large studio and equipment. She suggested this book and it has been my frequently turned to reference every time I forget how to do something!

    You and I are so much alike, my friend! Got to do our own thing! I can not wait to see what is brewing in that creative mind of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful and the answer is yes! Thank you for participating in the Thursday Favorite Things hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I love your quilt square. I'm hosting a huge giveaway on my blog. Stop by!
    http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2012/01/january-huge-giveaway-what-do-you-have.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine, I am passing on an award to you! If you would like it, visit my blog. ~ Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I promise to stop by your blog and say hi. Cheers